Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm really sad now

While I was complaining that it was cold a few minutes ago, I was still in a pretty good mood. Now, I am not. Not at all. My mom just called me at work and told me my brother got a CALL. A call he's been wanting but one that the rest of us have been dreading.

For those of you who don't know this, my brother is in the Army. (It's pretty obvious that I'm proud of him by looking at my blog page) He's classified as a mic88 (I think that's the "technical spelling, pronouced Mike 88), which is transportation. I've talked to other people in the military and when I tell them that Doug is trans, they're like, oh, that's gravy. Until I tell them that he drives the big oil tankers. Yeah. Transporting anything like that in Iraq or Iran right now is one of the most dangerous jobs over there. Anyways, he's already done one tour over there, stayedf over later than his unit and worked on an assasin squad (oh man the stories he can back with! Except, he had to be REALLY drunk to share any of them, still does). He came back in July, safe and sound and all in one piece, though being there has had a HUGE effect on him.

So, getting to the point now, he called and told my mom there there is a transportation unit that's short right now and it looks like he's going to be going again. He may even leave within the week. No good! If he leaves right now, he'll be gone for at least twelve to thirteen months, during which time my wedding just happens to occur. =( He'd only be able to come back if they gave him leave, and they don't always let you come back stateside for your leave. A lot of times they'll send you to Kuwait or Germany instead. So yeah, needless to say, I'm pretty bummed about him going back. That's a year of worrying that I don't want to go through again.

And on another military note, I about flipped when I saw the whole Starbucks thing. I was going to die if I had to give up my Starbucks because they don't support the military. Thank God it was all a big misunderstanding and I was pleased to see a sign on the window about donating coffee to the military when I rolled through the drive-thru this morning. =)

0 comments: