Thursday, July 24, 2008

Perfect by Judith McNaught

I just finished reading this one on my lunch hour today. I started it back in January on one of my many plane rides when on my Hawaii trip, but I found that I was having a really hard time getting into it for some reason. Which is really odd for me, considering the fact that Judith McNaught is one of my favorite authors. When I finally picked it back up again last week, I started looking at how I would change that sentence around, or if a sentence was too long, or all the filter words I came across. We got to talking about reading for pleasure on our Samhain editor loop, and Angela James said something that got me to thinking, or, as the end result was, thinking less. =) She said that you have to learn to seperate, to take your editor hat off and just read.

And that's exactly what I did.

I just read. And read. And then I read some more. I got home from work last night and spent about a total of four hours just sitting on the couch reading. And yes, I'm a fast reader, but Judith McNaught's books are pretty long. =) And you know what happened? I found myself loving the book, just as I love the rest of the Judith McNaught books I've read. I love her characters and I really loved Julie in this book. She's a strong, caring, compassionate woman, and I think she's a great example for many of us. She's an extremely giving person, and that's something that, well, to be honest, you just don't really see anymore.

I enjoyed the struggles and the conflict, too, which is something Judith is GREAT at. Especially in Whitney, My Love. When you read one of Judith's books, you think the happy ending is just around the corner, and then BAM! Something happens that's totally unexpected. But it's not some unbelievable "oh come on" happening. It's something very real. And Judith doesn't disappoint with this one.

And have I mentioned the hero yet? Zack Benedict? Hot damn! I absolutely adore my Myles, but if was just a teeny bit like Zack you can bet I wouldn't be complaining. =)

To sum it up, Perfect was a damn good book. =)

0 comments: